In 2010, 19-year-old Sam Bullard dared to eat slug. He drank with a handful of friends when the slumper crawled through the courtyard. In a video interview last year, Jimmy Galvin, a friend in the video interview, said, "We spent the night of the dark wine and sat here to act as an adult, and the conversation started and then Sam left and struck. "
On Friday, Ballard died at age 28 after suffering pneumonia from the patella.
Here is something you should know.
1. He contracted a rat Lungworm after eating a slug at Jimmy's house.
In 2010, not long after graduation, Sam spent time at his friend Jimmy's house. He was playing in the backyard with his friends when he found the snail. Then the friends dared each other to eat snails, Sam was the one who did it.
Shortly after eating the slug, Sam began to get sick. He mentioned to his mother and doctors that he ate slug early. The doctors concluded that Sam had pneumonia in the rats.
According to the NSW Department of Health, the disease is often found in snails and snails after eating pellets. People may become infected after eating a snail with pneumonia larvae or after eating unsweetened lettuce contaminated with snails or slugs. Parasites are more common in Southeast Asia, the Pacific Islands and Australia. Outlets are "infrequently" infections that are fatal and rarely cause brain infections.
2. He stayed in Coma for 420 days.
Sam fell into a coma for 420 days after being diagnosed with eosinophilic eosinophilic meningitis as a result of eating a contaminated snail.
When he woke up, according to the Independent, he had severe brain damage, and he had a limb paralysis-complication from his previous illness, saying, "I need to constantly take care of him."
Lisa Wilkinson, who wrote an article on Ten Daily's Sam, was limited to wheelchairs with limited ability to communicate, although the doctor was able to save him on time, and was treated once a day, 24 hours a day. "Three years after his illness, he was released from the hospital and received an electric wheelchair.
3. He is surrounded by his beloved.
According to the Ten Daily, Sam died Friday morning at Hornsby Hospital. He was surrounded by "the 20 most loved ones in the world".
His mother, Keatie, tells Ten Daily, "The room is so full of love."
His mother was also his cadre for almost nine years. Sam Wilkinson writes: "Sam's beautiful angel, Katie, is Sam's entourage, his best caregiver, who never shook her love. He cares, drives, drives, bathes, rests in the bathroom, organizes doctor and hospital visits, He always finds Sam's friends so he can find a lighter moment and wakes up every night to see the smile of the boy.I was welcomed in his new, limited world.When they visit often, Sam's eyes will always shine "
4. He was a rugby player.
Sam was a promising rugby player.
He was a student at Barker College.
In March of this year, News.com.au announced an article detailing how Sam would fight the government after he stopped funding his hospital treatment. Sam applied for the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) in 2016 after Sam was eligible for a $ 492,000 package.
Without warning in September 2017, she said the fund would decrease to $ 135,000. News.com.au said, "The massive cuts in funding were unexplained and 24-hour care means that the Ballard family is paying a lot of debt. They owe $ 42,000 in nursing care."
When the Daily Telegraph contacted NDIS, they "worked closely with the Ballard family to find a resolution," he said. It is unclear which resolution was met.
5. His last words to his mother are: & # 39; I love you & # 39;
According to Lisa Wilkinson, Sam's last statement to her mother was "I love you."
His friend added. "He has a voice and loves Katie many times.
29 years old.