It looks like the next few days will be rainy and thundering in different parts of the country. Then it might be a good idea to keep track of what statements about lightning and thunderstorms are actually true.
Nyheter24 has contacted Gunilla Svensson, Professor of Meteorology, who dispels the myths surrounding thunder and tells what is important to think about.
Do you have to hide under a tree when it thunders?
No, trying to protect yourself from lightning under a tree is not a good idea.
– You should not stand under something that stands out, because the thunder seeks higher things, says Svensson.
Do you have to hide in the car when it thunders?
Yes, it’s better to be in a car than on a low field when it’s thundering.
– The car is a safe place, if you sit in a metal cage, a so-called Faraday’s cage, says Svensson.
However, according to SMHI, modern cars are not perfect metal cages and there is a risk that they will start to burn. But it is still better to stay in a car than in the open air. However, it is important not to touch the steering wheel or other parts that come into contact with, for example, the body or the engine compartment, and to keep doors and windows closed.
Is there a greater risk of becoming lightning if you hold an umbrella?
– An umbrella is not much higher than you, so there should be no problems, but avoid being in an open area or under an isolated tree or something like that, Gunilla Svensson Nyheter24 tells.
Is it dangerous to shower when it thunders?
Feel free to avoid showers when it thunders, and be especially careful not to swim outside.
– Water and metal conduct electricity, so the shower is good to prevent, even if the risk of swimming outside is even higher, Svensson explains.
Do you die when you are struck by lightning?
– You can die, but you can survive completely, it depends on how the current passes through the body, says Gunilla Svensson.
According to Vernon Cooray, professor of electricity at Uppsala University, 80 percent of the people affected by lightning survive, something that Nyheter24 wrote about earlier.
What to do if someone is struck by lightning?
If a person is struck by lightning and becomes unconscious and stops breathing, you should perform rapid cardiopulmonary resuscitation, as Nyheter24 reported earlier.