Officials today reported seven cases of Ebola in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), with an estimated 319 cases. The outbreak occurred in North Kivu and Ituri provinces.
"On November 9, 2018, the first epidemic in Yambuku, Ecuador, of the first epidemic, the Ebola virus epidemic in the northern Chivu and Ituri areas, has just been transmitted," said health minister Oly Ilunga Kalenga, MD , DRC Health Department Update.
"No other global epidemic is as complex as we are currently experiencing." After arriving in the area, the response team faces threats, physical violence, repeated equipment destruction, and kidnapping. Two of my colleagues at the rapid response medical facility lost their lives in an attack. "
Despite extensive use of Merck's Ebola vaccine, the virus has kept the region captive for the past three months because of its slow response to violent overturning and community resistance.
Seven new deaths, 52 suspected cases
A total of 198 people died during the outbreak, seven times more than reported yesterday. According to the WHO data, 52 cases of suspicion are under investigation and increased from 40 cases yesterday.
WHO said yesterday that the disease outbreak has made significant progress to curb the outbreak, saying, "There remains a challenging path to control fierce infestations in the villages around Benny and Benny and Bebo."
From October 31 to November 6, officials reported 29 new cases, including 15 in Beni, 4 in Butembo, 4 in Kalunguta, 2 in Mabalako, and 1 in Vuhov. Today, one of the new incidents was recorded in the Kyondo Health Zone next to Butembo.
Although there are no cases of crossing DRC borders, WHO said the risk of international spread is still high.
The risk of spreading to the Democratic Republic of the Congo and surrounding countries is very high. Warnings have been circulated throughout southern Sudan, Uganda and Yemen throughout the past week. EVD [Ebola virus disease] WHO said all warnings were excluded so far.
FDA approves Ebola fingerprint inspection
In this regard, the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) today announced an emergency use permit (EUA) for rapid results fingerprinting Ebola test. Disposable tests are useful for testing outside and outside the lab because they use portable battery operated readers.
This test is called the DPP Ebola Antigen System and is the second fastest finger stick Ebola test on the market.
"This EUA is part of the agency's ongoing commitment to mitigate potential future threats by creating drugs that have the potential to be prevented, diagnosed, or treated as soon as possible," said FDA Chairman Dr. Scott Gottlieb in a press release.
"We are helping people in DRC cope effectively with current Ebola outbreaks. By allowing the first finger test with a portable reader, you can better protect your healthcare provider in this area and improve patient outcomes "
FDA did not specify the accuracy of the test and did not provide EUA-derived data.
Decrease in US support
Dr. Jeremy Youde, professor of international relations at the Australian National University, Washington PostHow exactly the US federal government withdrew ground support from the DRC in mid-October cites analysts who call it "part of the Benghazi hangover on the US government's risk aversion."
In contrast to the claims of Robert Redfield (MD), director of the CDC, the federal government said it was too dangerous to protect US workers. But other countries, including Canada and the United Kingdom, are also in the same area as the Gates Foundation.
Youde said US intervention would not end the sudden outbreak, but withdrawing support would be a dangerous precedent for the United States.
November 9 DRC Update
November 8 WHO Onset Notice
November 9 FDA Press Release
November 8 Washington Post story