Wednesday , March 29 2023

He dared to eat slug, numb and died.


In 2010, 19-year-old Sam, a passionate rugby player, drank with Jimmy Galvin and a few Australians when the slug started crawling across Galvin's concrete courtyard at his Sydney home.

(CNN) – I was a foolish dude among teenage boys. What can hurt to eat a little slug?

So the Australian teenager Sam Ballard grabbed the slimy creature and drank it. He paralyzed the body and ultimately lost his life as a slug wore a deadly worm that could go into a coma that lasted more than a year.

& # 39; Try to act like an adult & # 39;

In 2010, 19-year-old Sam, a passionate rugby player, drank with Jimmy Galvin and a few Australians when the slug started crawling across Galvin's concrete courtyard at his Sydney home.

Galvin recalled, "We sat here and tried to act as an adult drinking wine late at night in the wineries." Video Interview This year is Lisa Wilkinson's current affairs talk show on the Australian Network 10 on "The Sunday Project". CNN contacted Galvin but did not hear from him.

"And the conversation came out," Should I eat it? "" I recalled Galvin. "And Sam left and struck, what happened."

After slugging, the fountain weakened and, according to "The Sunday Project", he complained of severe pain in his legs. Sam's mother, Katie Ballard, initially reported that she was worried that she would suffer from multiple sclerosis, which her husband was afflicted with. But doctors say it is not the cause.

Then Sam returned to his mother and said that he ate slug. "And I went." No, no one is sick for it. "Said Katy Ballard, CNN also contacted Ballard.

But soon doctors said differently. Sam changed the eternal life from infected slugs to mumps pneumonia.

What is a lung fungal disease?

Rat pneumonia is caused by a parasite called Angiostronjilus cantonensis. As its name suggests, parasites are in the lungs of rats and are later excreted in poop.

Along with slug, snail, freshwater crab, shrimp, shrimp or frog comes out. When you eat pellets or parasites, you infect the organism. But fish do not spread parasites.

Humans can become infected if they eat raw or undercooked contaminated animals or vegetables that have not been thoroughly washed and are not visible or have snails or slugs.

According to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), drinks can be contaminated with worms only when snails and slugs enter.

Unlike mice, the life cycle of a worm is not complete in humans. So instead of going through the digestive tract, insect larvae "can get lost, go to the brain and stay there," he said. Heather Stockdale Walden, assistant professor of epidemiology and pathology, said, "University of Florida. Parasites are not transferred from person to person.

"Reaching the brain can cause eosinophilic meningitis," Walden said, referring to inflammation of the membranes surrounding the brain and spinal cord.

Symptoms include headache, nausea, vomiting, fever, and stiff neck.

& # 39; I love you so much & # 39;

Most cases of rats with lung fungus are usually mild. However, in some cases like Sam, this disease can cause catastrophic damage.

Immediately after the diagnosis, Sam fell into a coma and stayed for 420 days. He woke up paralyzed and could not eat or move without pressure. He needed nursing 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

But the illness did not affect his mental ability and his family and friends said.

"There is 100% there," Galvin told the "The Sunday Project." "I apologized to Sam for all that happened in the back yard that night and just woke up and I knew he was there."

Last weekend, Sam died. "Wilkinson of the" Sunday Project " Blog post.

"Sam died at Hornsby Hospital on Friday morning, and he was surrounded by 20 of his beloved people in the world.

"One of his friends in the room kept saying," He made a voice, and I said, "I think Katie 's room was full of love, I said I love you. ""

According to Galvin's Facebook page, Thursday's funeral will be held for Sam.

CNN's Susan Scutti has contributed to this report.

What other users click:

>> More stories

Source link